Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.



Jalan-Jalan with Jerwin in Singapore

Jalan-Jalan with Jerwin in Singapore
Photo by Jerwin Allen Malabanan
CURRENT ENTRIES:

Monday, December 8, 2014

Many of the migrant workers who came from Bangladesh to Singapore have dreams of being writers, actors, and singers. They organized a theater group that performs every once in a while in Bangla; I had the rare opportunity to watch one of their rehearsals. One of the workshop participants took a course in Electrical Engineering just so that he could qualify as a worker and get sent to Singapore. His dream, however, is to become a successful visual media practitioner here. I pray that all of them achieve their dreams.

These men are very religious Muslims. They are construction and shipyard workers.

As I was sitting there conducting an exercise, I wondered about Filipino carpenters, plumbers, and such in my own country. Am I failing to see anything in them? Do some of them secretly want to be writers and painters too?

No comments:

Post a Comment