Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.



Jalan-Jalan with Jerwin in Singapore

Jalan-Jalan with Jerwin in Singapore
Photo by Jerwin Allen Malabanan
CURRENT ENTRIES:

Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Ignorance of Religiosity

Many years ago, when I was still single and no one had ever heard of cell phones, I hung ethnic masks from Ifugao on my front porch as demon-quellers. One morning, while my porch door happened to be open, a group of born-again teenagers passed by, saw the masks, threw a tantrum in the street, shouting out, "Bakit? Bakit?"

I did not bother to enlighten these teenagers that they had just turned their backs on their history, their culture, and their origins by embracing a foreign religion that was slowly eradicating their origins.

It is not my duty to educate all of the ignorant. Most of the time it is something they should be doing for themselves.

Most of the time, also, one gains deep insights as to which demons are being quelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment